Se Cathedral, is the cathedral of the Latin Rite Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Goa and Daman. It is the seat of the Patriarch of the East Indies and is located in Old Goa, India. Se Cathedral was built to mark the victory of the Portuguese lead by Afonso de Albuquerque over a Muslim army, leading to the capture of the city of Goa in 1510. The tower houses a large bell known as the "Golden Bell". On the right there is a Chapel of the Cross of Miracles, where a vision of Christ is said to have appeared in 1619.
The Paramula Church also known as Parumala Pally, is a parish church of the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church. The church stands on the shores of the river Pampa. The church can accommodate more than 2000 worshippers. It contains the tomb of Gregorios who is considered sacred by many due to belief in his saintly qualities.
Basilica of Bom Jesus
Basilica of Bom Jesus is India’s first minor basilica, and is considered to be one of the best examples of baroque architecture in India. It is a world heritage monument. The body of Francis Xavier saint still attract a huge number of tourists (Christian and non-Christian alike) from all over the world, especially during the public viewing of his body every ten years (last held in 2014). The saint is said to have miraculous healing powers. The Basilica of Bom Jesus is around 408 years old and is open to the public every day. The body of St. Francis Xavier is placed in a well-decorated casket.
The Malayattoor St Thomas Church is one of the prominent christian pilgrim centers in Malayattoor , Kerala. The church attracts huge crowds from all over India. This church set up by St Thomas on a hill top is accepted by the Vatican as one of the eight international shrines in the world. The church is on top of a hill named Kurisumudy. Legends say that St. Thomas used to make the Sign of the Cross on the rock, kiss it and pray at Kurisumudy. The annual festival of this church is known as 'Malayatoor Perunal' and it is celebrated in the months of March–April.
Vailankanni fondly known as the 'Lourdes of the East' as Lourdes in France, millions of pilgrims visit the Shrine throughout the year. Legends say that Mother Mary appeared with the Infant Jesus in this small hamlet at the end of the 16th or early 17th century. Ever since, Vailankanni is the most important destination for the pilgrims of the world. The church is devoted to Our Lady of Good Health. Vailankanni is well connected by road and rail.
Santa Cruz Basilica
Santa Cruz Basilica of Fort Kochi is one of the eight Basilicas in Kerala. The church along with being a devotional place attracts tourists from across the globe due to its historic significance, endowed with architectural and artistic grandeur and colours of the gothic style.The foundation stone of the Santa Cruz church was laid on 3 May 1505, the feast day of the Invention of the Holy Cross, hence the magnificent edifice when completed was named Santa Cruz.
The Vallarpadam Church also known as The Basilica of Our Lady of Ransom is a pilgrimage centre for people from all parts of world where worshippers seek the blessing of Mary. mother of Jesus, popularly known as ' Vallarpadathamma'. Vallarpadathamma is believed to have saved her devotees several times from violent storms and the feast in her name is celebrated every year on September 24. Vallarpadam is situated next to Bolgatty Island on the west, and linked to the Ernakulam mainland via the Goshree bridges.
St. Francis Church
St. Francis CSI Church, in Fort Kochi was originally built in 1503 and is the oldest European church in India . It has great historical significance. The Portuguese explorer Vasco da Gama died in Kochi in 1524 when he was on his third visit to India. His body was originally buried in this church, but after 14 years, his remains were removed to Lisbon. The Church originally built by the Portuguese dedicated to St. Anthony, stood the Dutch invasion and later the British invasion and eventually it was handed down to the Anglican Communion who changed the name of the patron saint to St. Francis.The gravestone of Vasco da Gama can still be seen here.
The church is believed to have been established in the 9th century by Mar Sabor. Kadamattom church is situated next to National Highway 49 (India) between Kolenchery and Muvattupuzha towns in the Ernakulam District. The church has the portrait of th a Persian high priest Mar Abo Metropolitan who established the church. Mar Abo was not only a theologian but also a conjurer. He was the mentor of Kadamattathu Kathanar. Kadamattom feast is one of the major festivals observed held during the January – February period. It marks the death anniversary of Kadamattathu Kathanar.
The Reis Magos Church
Reis Magos” is Portuguese means Three Magi, otherwise known as the Three Wise Men. Like these esteemed gentlemen, in order to reach this church one must stray off the beaten path. The church is located on the banks of the river Mandovi. The Reis Magos church was constructed in 1555 by the Franciscan Friars and was one of the earliest churches built in Goa. It also has the distinction of being the first to be built in the Bardez Taluka. The church is one of only three places in Goa which celebrates the Epiphany (Feast of the Three Kings) with processions and re-enactments.