The first thing that comes into anyone’s mind when they think about old age as a period to stay indoors – either lying down on the bed or on the sofa watching television. The basis of this is that as one grows old muscles and bones weaken and moving around especially outdoors becomes difficult. This could not be further from the truth.
Going for walks on a regular basis is one of the activities that doctors encourage. Walking also provides a good exercise to keep oneself busy and occupied, if at least for an hour during the day. Here are some of the reasons below that doctors give senior citizens to keep themselves engaged by walking –
- Stress Buster: Granted, elderly people don’t have the same issues that stress them as the young, workforce do. But that doesn’t mean that they are immune to stress. Everyone is subject to stress. Walking helps reduce stress by secreting the hormones that activate pleasure while keeping one calm and collected.
- Prevention of Dementia: Walking also helps in keeping the brain active, ensuring there is coordination between the various sensory organs.
- Reduction of Blood Pressure: Medical studies have shown that keeping a walking routine lowers blood pressure.
- Weight Management: Yes, walking regularly keeps one fit and helps in managing or reducing weight, as long as one keeps to a sensible diet.
- Prevents the onset of Cancer: Walking on a routine basis helps prevent the onset of cancer, specifically breast cancer in women and prostate cancer in men, as shown by various studies.
- Builds Muscles: Going for a walk regularly for about an hour a day helps in building the leg muscles, especially by stretching the calves, hamstrings and glutes.
- Source of Vitamin D: Walking for an hour during the day, preferably in the morning, provides a good source of Vitamin D, by enjoying the sunshine while allowing one the opportunity to enjoy the fresh air.
- Making Friends: Staying indoors makes you dull and lonely sometimes. If you make walks a daily routine say in a park or around your house or building, you will meet people who walk at that time and chances are you will meet them often. This is a nice way to make friends.
Old age is not necessarily a sentence to stay within the four walls of the house. Go outdoors, enjoy the sunshine, meet more people, make new friends and stay healthy. For those who find it difficult to walk without help, one can use a walking cane to provide support. Walking canes and walkers are available at our website www.intow.in